2007-03-31

Personal story: Horsens Sygehus - Leg operation

At last I got my leg fixed - team under Dr. Jesper Kabel removed the nepali-hospital steel-plate. Jesper communicated via e-mail few times his concern about the screws and type of the plate. After nearly 2 hr. operation, during which I was anaesthetised with spinal injection, he told me: "They used the same AO-reconstruction plates as we do in Denmark!" Ah, the pleasures and conveniences of globalization!
After all the bitching and crying in the danish MSM and (D)DR [Danmarks Radio] about the "sorry" state of danish health care it was a shock to experience hospital environment in Denmark after 32 years: a good shock I mean! The staff were compassionate, caring to the extreme; the equipment modern, clean and functional! It seems the pain is banned from danish hospitals and I was friendly reprimanded by a nurse for gnashing my teeth and lowly moaning in the one night I spent there: no, I should have asked for painkiller! And the painkiller they gave me:

OxyNorm:
This medicine contains the active ingredient oxycodone hydrochloride, which is a type of medicine called an opioid or narcotic analgesic (painkiller). It is related to morphine. Opioid painkillers work by mimicking the action of naturally occurring pain-reducing chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins are found in the brain and spinal cord and reduce pain by combining with opioid receptors. Oxycodonemimicks the action of natural endorphins by combining with the opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord. This blocks the transmission of pain signals sent by the nerves to the brain. Therefore, even though the cause of the pain may remain, less pain is actually felt. Oxycodone is used to relieve moderate to severe pain associated with cancer and following surgery. It is also be used to relieve severe pain of other causes that is deemed to require the use of a strong opioid. OxycodoneOxyNorm and OxyContin. OxyNorm capsules, liquids and injections are short-acting forms of the medicine. OxyNorm capsules and liquids need to be taken every four to six hours to provide continuous pain relief. The injection may be given more frequently than this, or may be given as a continuous infusion (drip). OxyContin tablets are long-acting "prolonged release" tablets, which are designed to release the oxycodone slowly over a period of 12 hours so that a dose is only needed twice a day. is available under two brand names,

After 24 hr I was discharged into glorious danish spring day, and lighter for the AO-reconstruction plate and 6-screws. A friend picked me up and on the way to Århus bought me my puja-beer: Carlsberg Elefant...
Jai Ganésh
! & tak to Jesper and the team on the 5th floor!

No comments: