2005-01-19

15 Years of Democrazy!

English Flag
It's sad to compare developments in Nepal and the comet-like rise of Eastern Europe. Both started the trasformation more-or-less at the same time, in the wild summer of 1989 - T'ien An Men slaughter, Budapest tearing down barbed wire of the Iron Courtain, the Fall of Berlin wall. Inspired by all this ferment, the underground, but tolerated parties came into the streets, and things turned ugly in January 1990: I remember driving with my lady near Patan Campus and saw a large group of police outside. We parked the Volkswagen a bit down and went back, to see "what's going on". Students were pelting the police with stones and bricks, police didn't even have plastiv shields! Then came a small TATA truck, and - it was filled with broken bricks. Npw also the cops had amunition. And then the left-wing equivalent of Swastika, the hated (for me and 100 of millions of survivers!) Hammer & Sickle, started apperaing on the walls, even on the walls of temples. The Commies arrived! I still believed the gentle nature of Nepalis, their love of freedom will see through this communist-bullshit.

I was WRONG, oh boy was I wrong!

No comments: